It has the ability to strengthen and relax the nerves. It is recommended for conditions in which tiredness alternates with nervous tension, stress-related conditions such as anxiety or insomnia. According to Robert Tisserand, most of its functions center around the autonomic nervous systems. It stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system and lowers the sympathetic function.
Sweet Marjoram oil is comforting to people who are lonely or suffering grief. However, it should be used for a short period of time as extended use may have a deadening effect on the emotions.
Sweet Marjoram is a wonderful oil to use for respiratory issues. The oil has anti-bacterial and anti-spasmodic properties which mean it is effective for treating whooping cough.
This is a fantastic oil to use for PMS. The anti-spasmodic and emmenagogue properties are valued for their action on the uterine muscles, and used in a massage or hot compress over the lower abdomen, it will ease menstrual cramps. Maihebiau recommends using Sweet Marjoram in conjunction with Clary Sage for females who experience uterine and nerve spasms during perio.
- Battaglia S. The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy. 2nd edition, The International Centre of Holistic Aromatherapy, Australia, 2003
- Keville, K. Aromatherapy, A Complete Guide to the Healing Art, The Crossing Press, USA, 1995
- Mojay G. Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit, Henry Holt and Company Inc., England, 1996
- Price S. Aromatherapy for Health Professionals, 2nd edition, Churchill Livingstone, 1999
- Schnaubelt K. Advanced Aromatherapy, The Science of Essential Oil Therapy, Healing Arts Press, USA, 1998
- Tisserand R. The Art of Aromatherapy, Healing Arts Press, USA, 1977