Chemistry is the science of aromatherapy. Essential oils are made up of naturally occurring chemical constituents. Based on chemical makeup, the oils are grouped into families. These families tell us about the therapeutic properties of the oils. Inshanti blends essential oils using these chemical families:
- Monoterpenes: airborne deodorizer, stimulator of decongestant activity for the whole body, antiseptic, rubifacient (improving circulation).
- Sesquiterpenes: anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, cicatrisant (promoting scar healing), sedative.
- Monoterpenols: anti-infectious, immune stimulator over the long term, healing for the skin, emotionally balancing.
- Sesquiterpenols: anti-inflammatory, cooling, grounding.
- Esters: Antispasmodic, calming to nervous system, healing for the skin, sometimes anti-inflammatory.
- Aldehydes: strongly antifungal, sedative, cooling, anti-inflammatory.
- Phenols: highly anti-infectious, strong immune stimulant, stimulating to body systems.
- Ketones: strong mucolytic, circulation supporter, pain relieving (thanks to the camphor).
- Oxides: strong respiratory oil (decongestant), antiviral, mentally stimulant, analgesic.
- Ethers: powerful antispasmodic, carminative (relieving intestinal gas pain), anti-infectious.
Some Inshanti blends contain herbally infused oil. These are oils that carry the medicinal properties of certain herbs. Carrier oil is infused with the medicinal herb, the plant is strained off, and the remaining oil can be used directly on the skin.